Thursday, January 01, 2009

The First of 365 Blogs in 2009

The few, the proud, the L.N. Smithee readers.

Or, maybe I should say, me.  I can't get a free hit counter to work (the one that I had a year ago disappeared into thin air along with my "Payola Free" sign), so I don't know for sure, but I suspect that I am the only regular reader of my little space on the Weird World Web.

Technically, this blog -- created out of boredom at work in 2005 -- is entering its fourth calendar year. But it's not what I figured it would be when I began, and it probably never will be. The folks at Blogger/Google have not set as a priority making this generation of the software easily changeable, and I couldn't justify the time necessary to revamp the whole shebang the long way. I actually registered to create a free blog at a well-established, instantly recognizable conservative site, but I didn't want to see nor promote those we-dare-you-to-look ads for PETA or the mega-annoying pics of that muscle-bound bald dude who sells his own method of weight-free personal training.

Be that as it may, I still want to put more into the L.N. Smithee blog.  I find that I am sharper when I am constantly thinking about how to properly put words in print. I don't think of myself as a great writer, but there are times when I am amazed at how well I have expressed myself when I re-read what I wrote some weeks, months, or years later.  Even better is when someone writes to say that I am not a bad writer.  Probably the highest praise I have received was from notable blogger Jim Treacher, who reacted to my smacking down of a Patterico.com troll by writing "I just wanted to say I am now an L.N. Smithee fan." 

Among my new year's resolutions for 2009 is my aim to blog at least once a day every day of the year, even if the topic is inconsequential. Because this has been a busy day for me, and I anticipated that I would not have the opportunity to get heavy today or tomorrow, I decided last night that my first blog would be this announcement. I have several Seinfeldian observations in reserve for tomorrow.

Hey, They Might Be Giants have written songs for every day since March 2000.  Not all of them were hits.

No comments: